The history of St Andrews House Hotel dates back to the British Mandate. In December 1917, when General Allenby entered the Old City of Jerusalem on foot through the Jaffa Gate, British rule over Palestine began.
The British, who governed first by military government, and then later by Mandatory administration (until Israel’s independence in 1948), set up their administrative centre for the country in Jerusalem. During these years, Jerusalem began to transform from a provincial town of the Ottoman era to a modern administrative, political, religious, and cultural centre.
Perhaps their most influential contribution to the character of architecture in Jerusalem was a municipal ordinance which remains in effect to this day requiring all new buildings to be faced with stone, lending a certain romantic quality to the buildings.
St Andrews House Hotel exudes a welcoming atmosphere, with a special sense of peace and tranquility.